With Rob away for the weekend, I figured this would be a good a time as any to do things that seem to fall off the map when you’re busy loving someone.
It’s not like I don’t get stuff done when he’s in my space, but if I have to choose between staying in and finally sorting out my closet or strolling to Cherry Bomb Coffee Shop with Rob on a sunny Saturday, well, coffee and brioche win every time. Every time. Needless to say, it gets distracting.
Here are some of the pros of having your man away for a few days:
1. No distractions! My closet’s ass is mine.
2. I have the bed all to myself. Penelope is loving it, but still sleeps on my face. Hm.
3. I only have to make one coffee this morning. But I will still have two.
4. I’m on my own, so time is my own. Come, go. Stay, leave. My schedule, my rules.
5. Shower alone. Don’t judge. To save time we do a 2-for-1 often. But this weekend I’m spreadin’ out, baby!
6. Eating for one. When, where, and what I want. Need I say more.
Some cons of having your man away for a few days.
1. No distractions. Truth is I love them. Nothing beats being distracted with Rob.
2. I have the bed all to myself. Who the hell am I supposed to sleep on?
3. I only have to make one coffee this morning. Having two makes me pee more.
4. I’m on my own, so time is my own. Ok, I’m busy, but not that busy. Rob is like built-in entertainment.
5. Shower alone. Not as fun.
6. Eating for one. This got old on Friday.
I’m such a two-face.
But here’s the way I figure it: Perspective is everything. I know this. I understand this, but often forget it. Very often. Lately my cup has been looking half empty, but that shit’s getting old and I’ve been due for a little perspective reinvention.
It’s slap-face reminders, like being on my own for a few days, that give me a little insight as to how my ‘perspective skills’ are doing. If they were looking a little dull when Rob first left on Wednesday, they’re razor sharp now.
The closet awaits.